Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:04:23AM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> Dan Jacobson wrote:
>
> >Why why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

[snip]

Three thoughts:

1. The UN is not the final arbiter of names of political entities.
e.g. except for US veto, Isreal would have ceased to have standing
long ago.

2. Mainland China needs OpenSource more thant OpenSource needs mainland
China.

3. Catalan is not the official language of a member state of the UN, but
it is a language that is supported in Debian.

I conclude that language and sovereign country is not a unique one-to-one
mapping.

Given what I understand of the politics and history of Taiwan/China, I
think it is unlikely that the two use the same language *in every detail*.
Particularly, I doubt that their usage of technical language jargon is the
same. If Debian has a Chinese language version for which the final arbiter
of language usage is a Mainlander, the name in Debian should also be of
that person's choosing. If the final arbiter is a resident/citizen of
Taiwan, his(her) choise of name should also apply. If we have both, good.
We have both. We are inclusive. Inclusive is PC. PC is good.

Just my 2cents.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com