Re: Must debian-installer use iso-codes package when choosing country?

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 08:51:25PM +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> On Sunday 04 April 2004 10:38, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> > Agreed the "official short names" are ugly ;
> > (http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code
> >-lists/list-en1.html) eg. "LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC",
> > "LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA" for those countries normally called "Laos"
> > and "Libya". However, sometimes the short version is the problem
> > too: eg. do we allow
> > "MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF", to be shortened to
> > "Macedonia"? I'm sure the Greeks won't agree to that ...
>
> they certainly won't (and I'm not speaking about myself, I believe
> that this issue has been greatly mishandled by all sides anyway)...

Please have a look at KDE (run kcontrol, select 'Regional & accessibility',
then 'Country/Region & Language'), they use real short names: Macedonia
and Taiwan in these particular cases.
Their list looks much smarter than the UN one.

This does not mean that iso-codes is useless, it may contain more
informations (like real short country/region names) and developers could
ddecide which list to use depending on their context.

Denis