Re: Must debian-installer use iso-codes package when choosing country?

Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org> wrote:

> Agreed the "official short names" are ugly ;
> (http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html)
> eg. "LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC", "LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA" for
> those countries normally called "Laos" and "Libya". However, sometimes
> the short version is the problem too: eg. do we allow
> "MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF", to be shortened to
> "Macedonia"? I'm sure the Greeks won't agree to that ...

Well for the same reason most of thel mainland Chinese people will
disagree with showing just Taiwan instead of the longer version.
In fact, you'll probably get Debian banned by the Chinese government
should they get wind of this fact.