Modifying an ISO

I've been trying to modify the sarge-i386-netinst.iso by adding our application specific packages.  When I add the packages under main and run apt-ftparchive generate, the resulting CD fails with the following message:

[!!] Load installer components from CD
Failed to load installer component

If I <Go back> and retry "Load installer components from CD", get the following:

[!!] Load installer components from CD
Failed to load installer component

If I don't run apt-ftparchive, then the resulting CD boots but I can't find the app specific packages (as expected).

Here is the config file used by apt-ftparchive:

Dir {
	ArchiveDir "iso";
	OverrideDir "indices";
	CacheDir "indices";
};

TreeDefault {
	Directory "pool/";
};

BinDirectory "pool/main" {
	Packages "dists/sarge/main/debian-installer/binary-i386/Packages";
	BinOverride "override";
	ExtraOverride "override.extra";
};

Default {