Re: default group issue

Package: adduser
Severity: wishlist

Joey Hess wrote:
> So he just wants some infrastructure around this. That seems reasonable.
> How about something like this:
>
>   - Add to adduser.conf a CONSOLEGROUPS variable, defaulting to
>     CONSOLEGROUPS="audio cdrom dialout floppy video"
>   - Add a --console-user flag to adduser, which creates the user in
>     that set of groups.
>   - Make passwd's config script pass --console-user when calling adduser.
>
> Of course we'll need Roland Bauerschmidt to decide about the adduser
> changes. A preliminary adduser patch is attached.
>
> (Now, in the meantime, I'd not mind putting a quick fix in base-config,
> but only if we have plans to do the real fix and later back that out.)

It seems to me that this feature is still too specific to that
particular application. I'd prefer having a more generic template
mechanism with a few common templates predefined (such as 'system' or
'console'). Anyway, as some concepts in adduser would have to be
rethought for that to implement, I believe it's too big a change for
sarge (assuming we'll release this year...).

The other problem I see with your suggested option is that it won't be
widely known for some time. I guess most users that come some so far to
figure out there's a --console-user option would've added the user to
the groups manually before. With a more generic template mechanism, I
think it would be sensible to prompt for the kind of user that is to be
added when adduser is called in interactive mode.

Despite those considerations, I see that you probably need something to
work with for sarge. If you really want that feature for sarge, I'd be
willing to add the suggested option and make it an alias to '--template
console' once that's implemented.

Thoughts?

Roland (I'll be on vacation for about a week, leaving Wednesday; so I'm
not gonna be able to answer during that time)