Re: OldWorld floppy images

OK, here's an oldworld/boot specific thing:

Your comment about reconfiguring the network gave me the clue I needed.
The problem was that the machine had two ethernet interfaces -- one PCI
card, one built-in on the motherboard.  For some reason this was
confusing it and it was not configuring the network interfaces
correctly.  The result was that it couldn't talk to the network to
retrieve the packages it wanted to install.

I removed the PCI ethernet card -- figuring I can install it again later
after I get the thing up and running.  That did the trick for that
problem.

On to the next problem.

Now I'm at the point where it's trying (and failing) to install a kernel
bootloader:  The error messages are included below.  The full log files
are avaliable at <http://www.rcthomas.org/~rbthomas/logfiles/>

I got to this point by doing a completely "chicken compatible"
installation. I booted from the boot floppy, fed it the root floppy when
asked, and then took the defaults at every place I could.  The only
places I needed to do anything but "peck at the return key" was when it
asked for the drivers floppy (I had to eject the root floppy and put in
the drivers floppy), and when it came time to partition the disk -- I
needed to do that manually.

The hardware is a completely vanilla OldWorld beige G3 (details of
exactly what components that entails are available on request).

Thanks for the help!

Rick

        Selecting previously deselected package initrd-tools.
        Unpacking initrd-tools (from .../initrd-tools_0.1.62_all.deb)
        Selecting previously deselected package
        kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc-small.
        Unpacking kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc-small (from
        .../kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc-small_2.4.25-4_powerpc.deb)
        Selecting previously deselected package
        kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-small-pmac.
        Unpacking kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-small-pmac (from
        .../kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-small-pmac_2.4.25-4_powerpc.deb)
                                                                                                             You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.25-powerpc-small)
        This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader
        to use
        initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use
        an INITial
        Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use
        that for
        booting).

        I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader -- please read
        your
        bootloader documentation for details on how to add initrd
        images.

        If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this
        message,
        please put
          `do_initrd = Yes'
        in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you
        do not,
        you'll continue to see this message whenever you install a
        kernel
        image using initrd.
        Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]Ok, Aborting
        dpkg: error processing
        /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-small-pmac_2.4.25-4_powerpc.deb (--unpack):
         subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1