sarge installation fails to detect hd

I have a sarge .iso that I downloaded from debian.org and I am not able to
complete installation because the installer apparentlly cannot read a hard
drive. I have tried installation on two different systems - an ASSA mobo
with a VIA chipset, and an Intel board. I have also tried installation with
different drives, including 2 different Maxtors and a Seagate. The results
were all the same - the installations process stalls at "Partition a hard
drive". When I select the 'Partition..." option, the screen blinks, then the
menu reappears with the "Partition..." option selected and the system does
nothing. I started ash and tried to run cfdisk, but all I get is an error:
"FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive. Press any key to exit". I notice that
many people are running sarge, so I'm a bit disappointed that I cannot even
get it installed. Right now I'm d/ling a sid iso to give that a try.

Ruben