Re: OldWorld floppy images

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:51:29AM -0500, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> When it was done reading that it asked about a driver floppy, but did
> not eject the root floppy -- I had to do that manually, which I did --

Maybe a wishlist bug for load-floppy?

> So I got stuck at trying to partition a disk.

I stopped my testing when it came to partitionning (didn't want to kill
the installed system...), but I think a possible cause would be missing
modules in the kernel. I've moved the scsi drivers from the root floppy
to the cd_drivers, in the hope they'd be automagically loaded over the
network, but I'm not sure if this works.

I'll have a look.

> Hope this helps!

Yes, it's always good to know things are (more or less) working elsewhere ;-)

> PS: is there a utility for editing the kernel boot parameters?  I'd like
> to experiment with some more esoteric video options, to see if I can get
> more screen real-estate than 80x30.

Well, I've hacked a macintosh resource fork editor to be used by my
miboot package. You'll need some courage, however. Get the rsrce package
(rebuild it if you're not on i386) and miboot from:
	deb[-src] http://sprite.fr.eu.org/dist/debian
as well as hfsutils and macutils, then see the hack in /usr/bin/miboot
to get the resource fork integrated back (it's rather ugly, but not my
fault ;-)

I'm not really sure it's worth it, however... Who needs something else
than a 80 characters wide console ? :-P

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>