Re: OldWorld floppy images

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 03:26:21AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Hi Jeremie!
>
> I downloaded the images.
>
> The first thing I noticed was that the root.img was more than
> 1.440 MB long.

Sorry, I completely forgot this issue! We'll have to move some stuff to
the driver floppies.

> I decided to try the boot.img anyway since it was the right size.
> I could at least see if my systems would boot with it.
[...]
> First, I tried it on the machine that wrote it (a beige G3 at 300
> MHz).  It succeeded in booting (got a "happy-mac" icon that
> changed after a while to an icon of Tux Penguin snuggling up to a
> happy-mac.) Of course, when it ejected the boot floppy (presumably
> because it wanted the root floppy inserted -- though there was no
> indication on the screen that this was the case.  I assume that is
> normal?) I had no root floppy to insert.  But I felt good that I'd
> gotten that far!

In your case, the kernel boots with no video. Some pmacs need a
video=ofonly parameter to the kernel, and others don't like it. My plan
is to produce two boot floppies, so don't worry about this.

You're right about the floppy ejection: it's the kernel requesting its
initrd, which is a sign that it did boot okay, apart from the video
thing.

> Next I tried it on a different machine (a powermac 6500 at
> 225MHz).  It got to the point of the Tux-and-Mac icon, but the
> drive made grinding noises and it never ejected the disk.  It just
> hung.

That's more worrying...

> I believe that the floppy drive on that machine is terminally
> old/tired/flakey

I hope you're right ;-)

> So, can we make a root.img file that will fit on a 1.440 MB disk?

Yes, I'll try to do this today, as well as a boot image that works for
you.

> Hope this helps!

It does, thanks !

--