Re: suggestion: something to add: DHCP!

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:59:57AM +0100, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> > However, it may be likely that the DHCP/non-DHCP thing comes again
> > into discussion.
> >
> > I may even predict some reviews with comments like "Debian mimics
> > Microsoft Windows and decides that DHCP is the standard"...:-)
> >
> > Hence, I suggest we consider adding a special boot parameter for
> > this : "static" would feed netcfg/get_method with "Static addressing
> > (manual)".
>
> Personally I don't think another boot parameter is a good idea. Specially
> if it is meant for the non-expert users...

a proposal in pseudo code

  check seeded debconf answer on network config
  if need network config
  then
+    print "network configuration "
+    print menu buttons "configure manual" "attemp automatic"
+    get choice
+    if attemp automatic
+    then
        netcfg_automatic
+    endif
     if unsuccefull netcfg_automatic
     then
        netcfg_manual
     endif
  endif

This is based on the report from Sven Luther
where he said waiting on DHCP reply that never come to get into manual config
is very announing

However when DHCP server is not present,
unplesant suprises arise.

> I'd prefer making the DHCP/static question high priority in this case. And
> if there are complaints about Joe User not knowing what this question is
> about, I'd suggest extending the explanation in that dialog.

Yes, that is a way to implement it.

The main problem is that why are hiding technical stuff from our users.

Turbo Charger, Dolby Surround, LASER, DVD are all technical terms.
We can add DHCP.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--