sid d-i netinst 03/21/04 image bugs

Install bugs report

uname -a: 2.4.25-1-386
Date: March 22, 2004
Method: Netinst CD

I have tried to install debian to /dev/hde partitions,
but have failed these days; thus I have decided to
report it.  On boot prompmpt "boot:", I enter expert.
The following is my PC's basic config.
   CPU: P4 1.6 GHz
   M/B: Gigabyte GA-8I875
   Memory: PC2700 512MB x 2
   /dev/hda: Maxtor 6Y160PO   160GB
   /dev/hdb: None
   /dev/hdc: DVD-RAM etc   LG GSA-4081B
   /dev/hdd: CD-R/RW   Yamaha CRW-F1E
   /dev/hde: Seagate SATA 160GB
   /dev/hdg: None

During the installation, I encounter two minor, and
another severe bugs.  First 2 bugs are minor, and the
last one is severe requiring strange way to get out of
the bug.  The severe one prevents me further easy
installation to the following partitions:
   /dev/hde11   /
   /dev/hde8    /usr
   /dev/hde20   /var

1. At "Detecting hardware and loading kernel modules",
it says bunch of IDE chipsets were detected like
via82cxxx through pdc202xx_new.  But I chose only piix
and genereic for IDE chipset support.  I think it is a
hardware detection bug because my M/B does not consist
of any of detected 22 ide chipset.  I did not inserted
any additional IDE card to my PC either.

2. After "Configure the network", but before
"Partition disks", there is "Detect hardware" step
which aparently fails because its detection capability
is partially wrong.  I do not understand why do we
need this step.  Since I know it is wrong, I want to
skip its step.  But when I choose "Partition disks"
step, it immediately start "Detecting garbage" step,
and start complaining that I have these non-existent
ide chipset.  It even prompts me to enter additional
parms.  I simply respond to by pressing Enter key, and
it comes back with dreadful red background screen
"Error while running 'modprobe -v via82cxxx'.  Nothing
wrong with the message.  But I informed the system we
do not have these 22 ide chipset already to begin
with.  I cannot really imagine the PC with that many
ide chipsets!  At the end of these 22 red screen, it
says:
   The missing modules, and the devices that need them
are: ide-scsi (Linux IDE-SCSI emulation layer)
Now I know what's wrong.  Since I have 2 ide-scsi
candidate devices, the system want to install
ide-scsi.  That's good.  But next the system thinks
ide-scsi needs all of 24 ide-chipset modules.  I added
2 to 22 because I need these 2.

3. At "partition disks" step, I want to install debian
to the partitions I described at the beginning.  After
the successful configuration of / partition, I
configured /usr partition.  But the system comes back
with "Partition table overview:" indicating it sets up
/usr at /dev/hda8 not /dev/hde8 I setup.  Even I setup
/var partition at /dev/hde20, it refuses it and comes
back by setting it at /dev/hda20.  Strangely, after
the system sets up /usr and /var partitions at
/dev/hda partition, it allows me doubly setup at
/dev/hde partitions.  Then after I doubly setup, I
chose /usr and /var partitions of /dev/hda.  For each
of these partitions, I chose "Usage method:" of "Do
not use the partition".  Finally I get the correct
overview.

I think beta3 has the same bugs.  Please fix the above
bugs.  We are thankful to d-i team's effort.

***Question*** Previously we had a list of kernel to
install.  And we could choose from the list.  Is there
any way to revive it?

Toshikazu Aiyama