Re: Re: slashdotted

tor 2004-03-18 klockan 18.01 skrev Joey Hess:
> Martin Sjögren wrote:
> > GUI or TUI doesn't matter, rephrase the text strings any way you like,
> > but I think that if we keep abusing select questions, people will be
> > confused. Period.
>
> You're right, but look at something like the main menu, which also
> abuses debconf similarly, and where the continue button is likewise
> ambiguous. (Continue to the next logical step? No. Run whatever is
> selected.) In this case it would be hard to do better than a simple
> list, and it just shouldn't have that continue button at the bottom at
> all.

The main menu is sort of less abusive since it *only* has action
entries. Partconf and partman have both data and action entries, and I
think that's what's so confusing.

I agree though, the Continue button should go away for select questions,
it's the only remotely sane thing we can do. The only question types
that actually need Continue buttons are note/error and multiselect,
would it be confusing to drop the Continue buttons from string and
password too?

Note that newt has a mechanism for putting a help line at the bottom of
the screen, what kind of interesting and helpful instructions can we put
there that fits in one line for all languages?

/Martin