Re: m68k debian-installer call for testers

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:35:22AM -0600, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:46:04PM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > Debian-installer has gotten to the point on m68k that it's ready for a
> > few more people than me to try to break it. Ideally, we'd like d-i to
> > work before beta 3 gets released in a few weeks.
>
> I tried this last night on my Amiga2000. Doesn't quite work yet...

Hey, thanks for trying. I think you're the first to even attempt an
amiga install this year.

> The ramdisk option for Amiga is "ramdisk=20000", and you have to type it
> right as well... I also use the debian-installer/framebuffer option, not
> sure if that is necessary.

Are you using the cdrom image? If so, the ramdisk=20000 is for 2.2.x
compatibility. The amiga nativehd ram disk shouldn't require a ramdisk=.
(Of course, that's a net-based install.)

> Installation then starts, but it fails to detect my network card, it is an
> ariadne2 and I know it works. It is not built into the kernel, but it is a
> module in the kernel-image, some time ago the name changed from ariadne2 to
> zorro8390. I had a look in /lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel, but it is empty? Can
> I load the module manually somehow (where are the modules hiding?) or do I
> have to build a kernel-image where the NICs are compiled in? The installer
> has been loading lots of ide modules, so there must be modules somewhere.

Sounds like nic-shared-modules didn't get put on the image, which is
likely the case for cdrom. They should be there on the nativehd, but
apparently I goofed. Hopefully they'll be there for tomorrow's daily.

In any case, I missed the zorro8390, so it'll have to wait until the
next linux-kernel-di upload (.52).

In the meantime, if you want to mess with an initrd directly, it's just
a gzipped ext2 image.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>