Supporting probe of existing OSes

Hi all,

One of the (few) big things that needs to be done that was done to a
reasonable extent in Woody is the detection of other operating systems
and adding bootloader entries for them so one is able to get into the
old operating system again. There are about 5 or 6 bugs in the BTS
asking for this support.

How would something like this be done? I think, in Woody, we would scan
the partition table and just make, at least for lilo, 'other=' entries
for each !linux partition.

This of course means that one wouldn't be able to boot other distros of
linux that were previously installed on the system after installing
whichever bootloader was selected during d-i time. Bad!

So is there a straightforward way to do this?

--
Joshua Kwan