Re: cvs commit to debian-installer/doc/manual/en/install-methods by mck-guest

I'm not going to try to edit the xml, but here are some comments on the
USB memory stick documentation.

mck-guest@alioth.debian.org wrote:
> Note, that the USB stick should contain one partition at least 128 MB
> in size (smaller setups are possible if you follow <xref
> linkend="usb-copy-flexible"/>).  Since most USB sticks come
> pre-configured with a single FAT16 partition, you probably won't have
> to repartition or reformat the stick.
>
> </para><para>
>
> If you have to do that anyway, use <command>cfdisk</command> or any
> other partitioning tool for creating a FAT16 partition and then type

This is not necessary. The standard setup is actually to not have any
partition table at all, and just use the entire device as one large
filesystem, like a floppy.

> There is an all-in-one file <filename>hd-media/boot.img.gz</filename>
> which contains all the installer files (including the kernel) as well
> as <command>SYSLINUX</command> and its configuration file. You only
> have to extract it to the first partition on your USB stick:
>
> <informalexample><screen>
>
> gzip -dc boot.img.gz >/dev/<replaceable>sda1</replaceable>

That should be >/dev/sda, not sda1. The boot sector of the device needs
to be overwritten by the boot image. This is again just like writing a
d-i boot floppy.

> After that, mount the partition on your USB memory stick
> (<userinput>mount /dev/sda1 /mnt</userinput>) and copy a Debian

Again, mount /dev/sda

> If you like more flexibility or just want to know what's going on, you
> should use the following method to put the files on your stick.
>
> </para><para>
>
> In order to start the kernel after booting from the USB stick, we will
> put a boot loader on the stick. Although any boot loader
> (e.g. <command>LILO</command>) should work, it's convenient to use
> <command>SYSLINUX</command>, since it uses a FAT16 partition and can
> be reconfigured by just editing a text file. Any operating system
> which supports the FAT file system can be used to make changes to the
> configuration of the boot loader.
>
> </para><para>
>
> To put <command>SYSLINUX</command> on the FAT16 partition on your USB
> stick, install the <classname>syslinux</classname> and
> <classname>mtools</classname> packages on your system, and type
>
> <informalexample><screen>
>
> syslinux /dev/<replaceable>sda1</replaceable>

Now, this can indeed be done, and you can put an actual partition table
on the stick. But I want to emphasize that this is not what the d-i
boot.img.gz does.

> The <filename>syslinux.cfg</filename> configuration file should
> contain the following two lines:
>
> <informalexample><screen>
>
> default vmlinuz
> append initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc devfs=mount,dall rw
>
> </screen></informalexample>
>
> Now you may put any Debian ISO image (businesscard, netinst or even
> a full one) onto your stick (if it fits). The file name of such an
> image must end in <filename>.iso</filename>. If you want to install
> over the network, you will of course skip this step.

If you want to install over the network with no ISO, you have to write
netboot/initrd.gz to the stick instead of hd-media/initrd.gz. The
hd-media one does not have network support.

--
see shy jo