Re: Grub and XFS, and random d-i experience

Robert McQueen wrote:
> Spotted in your blog that you found that grub-install messes up when you
> try and use it on XFS. This is fairly well known, it happens because XFS
> uses delayed (and I mean *delayed*) allocation of blocks on disk, so
> sits around for quite some time before flushing new files to the disk.
> The Grub shell (to be as similar to the boot-time grub shell) accesses
> the disk hardware directly, so when grub-install copies the files into
> /boot/grub/ and then starts the shell to look for them, it doesn't see
> them. The only reliable fix I've found is to remount the partition
> read-only before running grub-install, which forces XFS to actually
> flush the files - `sync' seems to be mostly ornamental these days. Might
> not be practical though. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense but I'm too tired right now
to try to figure out how to safely use this workaround. For now d-i will
just warn if /boot is on xfs.

And what the hell are they thinking with breaking sync like that. I even
tried sync before, and indeed it doesn't help a bit.

--
see shy jo