Re: Shadow package NMU in preparation for l10n issues

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
>
> > I had been meaning to ask Karl if he could use some help fixing bugs
> > #223664, #235386, #233894, and #222716. Unfortunatly I don't know the
> > fix for any of these except #235386 (whose fix is trivial), and I won't
> > have time to work on it this week.
>
> I can try to at least fix 235386.
>
> What is the clean way to do lowercase(firstname) according to you. I
> think this is the simplest thing to do.

> 233894 may induce some discussion (is it OK to automatically add the
> first user to system groups like cdrom, audio and so on). This is not
> critical thus we can delay it.

I think I've flamed about this already.

> 223664 probably needs asking the question about MD5 passwords before
> setting up the root account. Maybe fixable this way

Except the question about MD5 passwords doesn't get asked anymore, which is
sort of what causes the problem.  I should be uploading a fix shortly.  [If
-19 hasn't been uploaded in the next 24 hours with a fix, poke me again,
what's going to take any time at all is 235386, my debconf is rusty]

> 222716 is a template rewrite. I prefer first having all translations
> complete and after this try the templates rewrites. #221151 proposed
> some rewrites Karl didn't completely agree with.... Anyway, if
> templates are rewritten, translators should be warned before so that
> we don't have a released version with lots of fuzzy translations.

er, uh, I believe 222716 was fixed in -14, I've just repeatedly forgotten
to close the bug.

> I wish shadow to be on alioth, indeed..:-)

I admit to feeling particularly grumpy at the moment, but I think myself
and Sam Hartman acting as picky gatekeepers to the cvs repository this
lives in has more positive results than not.  You may have just noticed
that if you submit a patch that doesn't leave me shaking my head for some
picky, pedantic reason I will apply it nearly as soon as I see it.

kcr