no support for anything but ext2?

Hello,

I am trying to install current Debian testing on i386. I have experience with SuSE, RedHat and Mandrake but none with Debian, so please forgive me if I am missing some obvious Debianness. :-)

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be support for any filesystems except for ext2. I already have a reiserfs partition that I want to install on. If reiserfs is unworkable, then I'd be willing to use ext3 or try xfs or jfs, but I don't want to settle with ext2.

I downloaded this ISO image, dated 21/02/2004, with jigdo: http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/cd/jigdo-area/i386/sarge-i386-1.jigdo

The CD boots fine and the installation gets to the point where it starts cfdisk. I just quit it because the partitions are already as I want them (and it correctly shows hda3 as reiserfs). Then it asks me about mounting the filesystem, so I choose hda3. It gives me a choice to use the partition as it is, or to format it with ext2, or to make it swap, or abort. This is the first surprise: there's no other filesystem to choose than ext2. But, I figured that perhaps there's at least support for mounting the filesystem if not creating it. Alas, it seems not. When I tell it to mount the partition, it pretends that everything's fine and starts installing. After a minute or so, it says there was a problem in debootstrap and that's it. I start up a shell and find out that: - /target is not a mount point - it's in the ramdisk, and it's full (df shows 100MB used out of 100MB). I suppose that the target filesystem should be mounted there? - cat /proc/filesystems shows only ext2, isofs and vfat (IIRC) and a bunch of nodev filesystems - no reiser, xfs, jfs or even ext3.
- /lib/modules/(whatever)/fs contains only isofs and vfat (again, IIRC).

I googled around and found some messages in mailing lists that said that reiserfs is supported. So I thought perhaps I need to download a current version of the installer? So I downloaded:
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/floppy/boot.img
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/floppy/root.img
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/floppy/cd-drivers.img
and after throwing out four faulty floppies, I managed to write the images. (I didn't want to waste another CDR.) Unfortunately, the situation is virtually identical, except for the fact that there is now a graphical boot screen, and that the installer auto-configures my network and downloads some parts of itself off it, without even bothering to check whether they are on the CD, which I suppose they are (and the drivers are loaded).

So, is there anything else I'm supposed to download? Or perhaps some boot-time parameter? Or is it simply currently broken?

Thanks for any advice!

--
Vaclav Dvorak  <vdvo@vdvo.net>
http://www.vdvo.net/