Re: partman review

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:51:34PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> Thanks for your review.  I agree with everything I don't comment.
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 01:35:47PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > * It really does need a progress bar at startup. It does seem that fair
> >   bit of the delay is disk-bound and not cpu-bound.
>
> Yes, it is mostly disk-bound and includes also tests on your
> relatively slow usb device.

Could that not be done little by little ? It searches for the quick
buses (ide and scsi mostly), and then displays something, while further
disks are searched silently in the background. Once they are found, a
feedback can be given or something. Or maybe this could be done in the
detecting hardware phase ?

Anyway, a minute long empty screen is no go, many will think, as i
probably did, that d-i just died.

> > * If I create a new partition, its settings default to "do not use", not
> >   bootable, not mounted, no filesystem type. These are not good defaults and
> >   mean a lot of work to get a usable setup.
>
> It is not easy to find the good defaults.

These should ideally be per arch/subarch defaults. Also, this is
something that could be choosen together with the way the partitions
will be mounted later on.

PS. some of my comments may be stupid, since i never managed to get
partman runnin on my box.

Friendly,

Sven Luther