Re: discover == kudzu ?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:32:04PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I take it that discover is supposed to run all the time on a newly installed
> sarge system, installed with d-i, not unlike the way kudzu does on a Dead
> Rat installation?

It doesn't run "all the time". It runs at bootup, detects the modules to
load and loads them, and then is essentially done.

> If this is the case, can we do something to quieten it down a bit? Often
> after a new kernel install (or indeed a new install full stop) I like to be
> able to Shift+PgUp back through the whole boot process to make sure
> everything was fat and happy.

How many lines of output do you get from discover? There shouldn't be
all that many. A line telling all the modules to be loaded, and stuff
about actually loading them.

> When discover runs (for me) during the boot process, it spews out a lot of
> crap (I'll have to see if I can capture it somehow) and makes doing the
> above impossible. It'd probably also be slightly disconcerting to the
> average new user to see a lot of error-looking crap scroll across the screen
> in quick succession.

Yes, the output would be useful. Please file a bug report against
discover and let us know. Thank you.

 - David Nusinow