Re: nobootloader oops

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:39:24AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 11:42:49AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Done.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > BTW, i wonder if it would be good to provide more instruction in the
> > postinst. Maybe we could do a check for the arch and subarch, and if
> > possible provide a little text with additional info, like providing the
> > amiboot/apusboot options to launch the kernel if on amiga or apus, and
> > so on, and fall back to telling the kernel name (which we don't do right
> > now) as well as the root partition. Possibly also the partition where
> > the kernel was unpacked on, the one holding /boot.
> >
> > What do you think about this ?
>
> In general, more information is better. However, it does provide the one
> piece they really need. Everything else can be done on the native side.
> I mean, for mac and amiga, they had to launch it off the hard drive to
> start with, right?
>
> Macs shouldn't be using hfs /boot partitions. It's considered bad form
> and unsupportable.

Well, the one problem might be if the d-i kernel and the one d-i
installs in the kernel-installer phase is not the same, so the name of
this kernel may be nice.

I used to mount a affs /boot, but this cause huge problems with dpkg,
since its temporary filenames were bigger than the 32 char limit of
affs.

BTW, i added the SFS support patch to the ppc kernels, but this could
also be usefull for m68k, since SFS is one of the popular filesystems on
amiga hardware.

Friendly,

Sven Luther