Re: I am having problems installing sarge testing from floppies

On Feb 21, 2004, at 6:14 PM, David Williams wrote:

I went to http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ and downloaded the boot,root and
network drivers floppies.

I am using these to install sarge testing
installed on it and I already have the 6Gb ext2 partition ready to install onto. I get past mounting / on the ext2 partition and the installer downloads and then starts installing the base packages.

I then get

!! Install the base system
Base system installation error
The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 127).
You might find more information in /target/var/log/debootstrap.log

The only error in the debootstrap.log is at the end:-
Setting up libtextwrap1 (0.1-1) ...

Setting up tasksel (1.43) ...

 lilo
/usr/sbin/debootstrap: 1: sleep: not found

I can send the full debootstrap.log if needed. I have seen one reference to this but it suggests using the woody debootstrap. I am not sure how to do this since I am using floppies. I do not want to use CD's since I will be installing regularly and I don't want to keep on burning CD's. [I am trying to keep up with all the major distributions - Redhat,Slackware,Debian,
Suse (not yet installed!).]

Any idea how I can proceed or when a new installer with the fix will be available?

Kind Regards,

David.

David,
	I experienced a similar error and was referred to the following bug:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/ msg00811.html Please note that this bug and my installation error were using the PowerPC port of Debian, using the sarge-powerpc-businesscard.iso to install the testing distribution. Not sure if that helps you, but perhaps it will.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed