Boot problem on IBM 486 machine

I am trying to install Debian 3.0 Woody Vanilla on an IBM PS/ValuePoint
486 machine. It has 64 MB of mem, IDE bios extensions, and a Maxtor 90640D4 hard disk. The cmos on this machine will not allow a boot from CD, so I made set of 2 Vanilla boot floppies from CD#1. At the boot: prompt I entered 'linux hd=12495,16,63'. The hard disk shows up OK in the partition menu, and I put in Linux and Swap partitions, leaving some space free. The install seems to go OK up to the point where I try to boot for the first time from the hard disk. Something is messed up in the boot record, and instead of booting, it writes an 'L', then fills the screen slowly with ' 40'. I can boot with the custom floppy I made during the install and continue through the install. Just can't seem to get it to boot from the hard disk. At first I thought there might be something wrong with the MBR, so I reinstalled with the optional install of LILO to the Linux partition boot record. It boots through the MBR OK, but then does exactly the same thing. So it looks to me like there is something wrong with what the install is putting in the boot record.

Any ideas what I may be hosing up? This is only the third install I have
done (the other two, on Pentium II machines booting off CD, went well),
so be gentle, I am only an egg! Thanks, JT