Re: Request for Testers - discover 2.0.2 packages

Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

Does the is_loaded function cause you any problems? I think it is better to check if the module is already loaded, because
this avoids duplicate messages from discover-modprobe. I remember bug
complaints about duplicate module loading in the past.

I'm running kernel 2.6.x, so I cannot say whether the
"old" modprobe of the modutils package complains about
duplicate attempts to load a module. The "new" modprobe
doesn't say a word. It ignores duplicate modules.

Calling "cut", "grep", and either "true" or "false" is
a _lot_ of overhead for testing a module. Not to
mention the workarounds necessary for kernel 2.6.x.

Modprobe is much more efficient in this test. It
knows how to handle '-' and '_' in the module names.
And since /etc/init.d/discover is usually run at boot
time when there are no modules loaded yet, there is a
pretty high chance that discover-modprobe has to call
modprobe, anyway.

My suggestion would be to use discover to generate a
list of possible modules and maybe their params, and
then to rely upon modprobe to load these modules, if
necessary. This would make discover-modprobe more
independent.

Regards

Harri