Re: Installation worked until...

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:08:46AM -0700, Robert Cole wrote:
> I am installing Debian for the first time. I've got a clean system (no
> other OS) and so I thought this should be easy. Right...
>
> I booted from the CD (Woody images downloaded and burned on CD) and went
> through the install steps. Couldn't get it to recognize my network card.
> OK, searched through Google (I have another functional computer on the home
> network) and found that I had to turn off the PnP OS. Alright, that
> requires a reboot, so I'll continue on and, since this is Linux, I can come
> back later and install the drivers. So, continue on following the
> installation guide step by step up to the smoke test. Take out CD, and
> reboot. Looks good (who gave the penguin the glass of beer?) up until I get
> the login prompt. Hey, the manual says that it should ask me to load some
> other modules and ask me what I wan the root password to be. ???

It will, if you reboot _from CD_, not from the half-installed system. If
you boot again from the CD-ROM, the installation procedure will ask you
the first few questions again; when you need to activate your
partitions, _do_not_initialize_them_. The installer will then detect
that you've got a half-installed system, and will continue where it had
previously been interrupted.

HTH,

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."