Floppy/network installation fails: tar Unrecognised file type

Hi,

I just tried the newest daily image (20040216) for debian-installer. I choose Unstable, because Testing gave some dependency problems in the past. Everything went fine (DHCP, partitioning, mounting). I selected 'Install base system' and d-i started downloading the packages. But after downloading I got an error. The messages file only reports:

tar: Unrecognised file type

That's it. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? I guess it's a dependency problem (again), but because the information presented to me is sparse, I can't investigate.

Eric