Re: rmmod not available in installation shell

> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 05:33, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > Seems it is very bad that rmmod is not available in installation
> > shell. It makes it not possible to fix a typo in module parameters
> > (such as invalid IRQ).
>
> Isn't the Linux trend moving towards not being able to unload modules
> anyway?

I'm not completely aware of the details of recent module-related work it
the kernel, but I don't think so. This will make the system much less
flexible. Why should I reboot just to try another version of a device
driver that is known to be stable?

AFAIK, there are some (nearly-theoretical) problems with module unloads -
something like hard-to-avoid races between rmmod and activities that try
to execute code provided by the module being removed. So work is (was?)
being done to avoid such things.

Anyway, with the current 2.4-based d-i absence of rmmod is quite bad.
Recently we tried to install an old PC with ISA network card. In past, it
was possible to find which IRQ it uses just by trying to insmod the
appropriate module with different params. With current situation, each
such attempt requires a reboot. Since we had to boot from floppy each
time, it was really unpleasant.