Re: Allowing for different kernel revisions

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:13:08PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> > I'd like to split this up into common-2.2, common-2.4, common-2.6 so
> > that various module renames can be handled sanely.

> I have been trying to think of a way that wouldn't be specific to
> 2.4/2.6, since module renames happen in the 2.4.xx series too. One idea
> I had was to list the versions in the module list file:
>
> foo.o [2.4.24]
> foobar.o [2.4.25]
>
> But this could get complicated if more than one kernel version included
> a module.

They could be done as ranges:

foo.o [2.4.0-2.4.24]
foobar.o [2.4.25+]

Something that's the same from the beginning on could be:

bar.o [2.2.0+]

And also cross version ranges:

baz.o [2.2.0-2.5.999]

Someone would just have to go through occasionally and reap versions
that noone cares about.

These approaches could maybe be reasonably combined.  Having separate
directories, plus ranges within them.  It would mean that we could keep
decent historical information (like debian-cd still has potato and other
things) without having to worry about cruft building up in the current
sandbox.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey