Re: USB Host-To-Host installation?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:52:46AM -0500, Erik Dykema wrote:
> Hello boot-meisters:
> 	This morning I had the following brilliant idea;
>
> 	Would it be possible to connect two computers, perhaps a (desktop ||
> server) system, and a (laptop || portable) with a USB cable, and have
> one of the systems act as a USB storage device, and the other boots off
> of it, just like it was any other USB storage device, like a keychain or
> hard drive?
>
> 	I googled for a while and found this page:
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
>
> 	It tells me that you can't connect two machines with a regular USB
> cable, but that special host-to-host cables exist.  There was no mention
> of this host-to-host booting thing in their FAQ though, at least as far
> as I could see.
>
> 	For the following reasons, I think this might be interesting / useful:
>
> 	A general purpose device (such as a laptop computer) should be able to
> emulate a special purpose device (a USB HDD enclosure).
>
> 	You could help your friends install linux on their computers just by
> plugging the cable in to your computer (potentially simpler than setting
> up dhcp / tftp / pxelinux).
You still have to setup the same functionality.
Potentially it will be complexer due 'usb0' lesser use the 'eth0'

> 	If the machine exporting the USB storage was active, you could fiddle
> around with the install media as the install was happening.
>
> Has anyone given any thought to this before?  Insights?
Yes...

The way to go is the same way as the PPP installs
 ( kernel with support for the hardware (s/adsl-modem/USBnet device/ )
   tell debian-installer to use the special interface s/ppp/usb/ )
with a major difference, you have to setup the server your self
 ( PPP installs can use the exsisting Debian servers on the Internet )

> thanks,
> Erik

Geert Stappers