Bug#220477: marked as done (base-config: timezone list messed up)
Your message dated Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:32:06 -0500
with message-id <E1AoqAQ-0002Avemail@example.com>
and subject line Bug#220477: fixed in base-config 2.09
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 10 Nov 2003 23:46:38 +0000
>From firstname.lastname@example.org Mon Nov 10 17:46:37 2003
Received: from cc78409-a.hnglo1.ov.home.nl (catnet.kabel.utwente.nl) [184.108.40.206]
by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.35 1 (Debian))
id 1AJLjx-0007lV-00; Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:46:37 -0600
Received: by catnet.kabel.utwente.nl (Postfix, from userid 500)
id 38A6623884; Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:46:36 +0100 (CET)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:46:36 +0100
From: Wilmer van der Gaast <email@example.com>
Subject: Installation report
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
X-Operating-System: Linux 2.4.22-ac4 on a i686
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-4.0 required=4.0
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.53-bugs.debian.org_2003_11_9 (220.127.116.11-2003-03-30-exp)
Debian-installer-version: http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/beta-1/sarge-i386-businesscard.iso (9 nov 2003 16:43)
uname -a: vmlinuz-2.4.22-1-386 (can't run uname -a, already booted back
to my normal Debian install)
Date: 10 november 2003
Method: Booted from CD, just pushed ENTER on the boot prompt.
Couldn't choose a good mirror.
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Memory: 512 MB
Root Device: IDE, Maxtor 6L080J4
Root Size/partition table:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 1275 10240240+ 83 Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hdb2 1276 1912 5116702+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdb3 3825 9733 47456640 5 Extended
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hdb5 3825 5100 10240240+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb6 6502 9733 25951936+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb7 5100 5106 52825+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdb8 5107 5361 2048256 83 Linux <=- mounted as root
Haven't touched any of the other partitions. This disk will be sent to
Maxtor for RMA soon, so I just used it for this test as long as the
thing is still alive.
Output of lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1b)
00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1b)
00:11.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1b)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 85)
Base System Installation Checklist:
Initial boot worked: [O]
Configure network HW: [O]
Config network: [O]
Detect CD: [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives: [O]
Partition hard drives: [ ] -- left the partitions as they were,
Create file systems: [O]
Mount partitions: [O]
Install base system: [O]
Install boot loader: [O]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
Ok. Some things I found:
First time I tried, it hanged on the Packages.gz download. Or at least,
it seemed so. Couldn't check the wget cmdline in ps auxwww (w doesn't
work, unfortunately, but apart from that BusyBox (with cmdline history)
rocks!), so I catted /proc/`pidof wget`/cmdline and saw there was a
slash missing in http://ftp.us.debian.orgdebian/bla.... AFAIK the slash
should be there. (http://hostname and path can't be separate arguments,
can they?) Allowing me to choose a closer mirror would've been nice btw.
Second time I tried, everything went better. I picked the Dutch language
from the list, and noticed that it also assumes a Dutch keyboard then. I
can tell you, Dutch keyboards still exist over here, but there are less
Dutch keyboards than Debian users in this country. Please change that
default, or better, let the user pick a layout.
The only other problem I can remember is the timezone configuration. I
picked Europe and then got a lot of cities/countries, but no Amsterdam.
Didn't really look like Europe at all. In the end I found out Amsterdam
lies in Australia these days. ;-)
One small wishlist/hint: In the list of partitions, I chose "Continue"
because I thought it was finished. Obviously, that was the wrong choice,
and now the installer was asking me what to do with hda1. Fortunately I
was still smart/awake enough to press Cancel. Maybe it would be nice to
put a list of the partitions the program is going to touch in the Finish
window, as a final warning to the user.
Anyway, looks quite good! Not yet ready, but certainly a lot better than
the d-i I tested a couple (4 IIRC) of months ago.
Wilmer van der Gaast.
+-------- .''`. - -- ---+ + - -- --- ---- ----- ------+
| lintux : :' : lintux.cx | | OSS Programmer www.bitlbee.org |
| at `. `~' debian.org | | www.algoritme.nl www.lintux.cx |
+--- -- - ` ---------------+ +------ ----- ---- --- -- - +
Received: (at 220477-close) by bugs.debian.org; 5 Feb 2004 20:35:49 +0000
>From firstname.lastname@example.org Thu Feb 05 12:35:49 2004
Received: from newraff.debian.org [18.104.22.168] (mail)
by spohr.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.35 1 (Debian))
id 1AoqE1-0006au-00; Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:35:49 -0800
Received: from katie by newraff.debian.org with local (Exim 3.35 1 (Debian))
id 1AoqAQ-0002Av-00; Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:32:06 -0500
From: Joey Hess <email@example.com>
X-Katie: $Revision: 1.43 $
Subject: Bug#220477: fixed in base-config 2.09
Sender: Archive Administrator <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:32:06 -0500
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.60-bugs.debian.org_2004_02_01
(1.212-2003-09-23-exp) on spohr.debian.org
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-2.8 required=4.0 tests=HAS_BUG_NUMBER,
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
base-config, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Joey Hess <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated base-config package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:38:10 -0500
Architecture: source all
Maintainer: Debian Install System Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Joey Hess <email@example.com>
base-config - Debian base system configurator
Closes: 220477 225865 225870 226200 226344
base-config (2.09) unstable; urgency=HIGH
* Kenshi Muto
- Run jfbterm when language is non-latin/Russian.
And when jfbterm failed, termwrap fallbacks to C. (closes: Bug#226200)
- Add WRAPPER_OPTION (closes: Bug#225865)
- Apply validlocale patch for support codeset style. (closes: Bug#225870)
* Joey Hess
- Fix apt-setup return code if add another source question is not
- List the number of available packages in apt-setup/another.
- Use ngettext to allow for appropriate translation of the "packages"
- Removed the last remnants of non-us support in apt-setup.
- Remove the remainders of support for the old dbootstrap_settings file.
Note that all the translated man pages are not badly out of date.
* Denis Barbier
- Switch to using gettext instead of $"" in shell scripts, and
use xgettext -L Shell.
- Better use of ngettext.
* Joey Hess
- Build-depend on gettext version 0.13.
- Fix signular form of the ngettexted string.
- The removal of $"" should remove the only bashism, so convert scripts
over to /bin/sh.
- Update copyright file.
- Add a -c switch to tzsetup. With this switch, it will use the
country code passed in to construct a list of likely time
zones, and prompt accordingly.
- Call tzsetup this way, using debian-installer/country.
- Use .tst files to control whether items appear on the menu.
- Use this for keyboard, ppp, and mta setup, to avoid displaying
those items on the menu if they will not actually do anything.
- Add Changes-Menu field to .mnu files that forces a menu rebuild.
This is necessary to handle mta's menutest properly.
- US and Canada have so many screwed up time zones in zone.tab that
it's better to have hand-written templates for their more common time
zones. Similar templates can be added for other countries at need.
- Also added hand-written template for Brazil.
- Add debian-installer/language to the db, so things like
dictionaries-common can use it.
- Export TMPDIR.
- Add dep on gettext-base.
- mirror/distribution has been renamed to mirror/suite in d-i, follow
.. er .. suite.
- To prevent breaking beta2 too badly, set the default suite to
testing. Unstable d-i will always override this, so it's safe to do.
- Urgency set to high; this needs to get into testing to be tested..
* Christian Perrier
- Rewrite templates to save work to translators by splitting up
a paragraph. Deeply sorry to translators who already updated their
* Petter Reinholdtsen
- Correct typo, ISO-8895-15 -> ISO-8859-15.
* Updated translations:
- Bartosz Fenski
- Updated Polish (pl) translation.
- Giuseppe Sacco
- Updated italian translation (it.po)
- changed all string when selectin tasksel/dselect/...
in order to fit the screen.
- Kenshi Muto
- Update Japanese translation (ja.po)
- Bart Cornelis
- Updated Dutch translation (debian/po/nl.po)
- fixs translation-bugs found by Bastiaan van Eeckhoudt
- Ognyan Kulev
- Updated bulgarian translation (debian/po/bg.po).
- Claus Hindsgaul
- Update Danish translation (da.po).
- Dennis Stampfer
- Updated German translation (de.po).
- Updated German translation (debian/po/de.po).
- AndrÃ© LuÃs Lopes
- Updated Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) translation.
- Miroslav Kure
- Update Czech translation
- Peter Mann
- Update Slovak translation
- Nikolai Prokoschenko
- Updated russian translation
- Anmar Oueja
- created and translated to Arabic (ar.po)
- Tapio Lehtonen, Tommi Vainikainen
- Updated Finnish translation (fi.po).
- TeÃ³filo Ruiz SuÃ¡rez
- Updated Spanish translation (po/es.po)
- Jordi Mallach
- Updated Catalan translation (debian/po/ca.po).
- Added Catalan translation (po/ca.po).
- Carlos Z.F. Liu
- Updated Chinese translations (po/zh_CN.po and debian/po/zh_CN.po)
- Christian Perrier
- Updated French translations (debian/po/fr.po and po/fr.po)
- Konstantinos Margaritis
- Updated Greek translations (timezones update)
- Safir Secerovic
- Update Bosnian translation (debian/po/bs.po)
- Add po/bs.po
- Miguel Figueiredo
- Updated pt.po
- Andre Dahlqvist
- Update Swedish translation (po/sv.po)
- KÄ?stutis BiliÅ«nas
- Updated Lithuanian translations (debian/po/lt.po and po/lt.po)
- Petter Reinholdtsen
- Updated Norwegian BokmÃ¥l debconf translation (debian/po/no.po).
4cdd13e4d718a5725d152eeb63421ff5 638 base optional base-config_2.09.dsc
8f8d550f339b33ef1c23b60de67fb868 299170 base optional base-config_2.09.tar.gz
f03bd92d4d8257540cf937588922f385 233110 base optional base-config_2.09_all.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----