Re: d-i first-stage configuration

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:08:01PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> > What if we changed how some items on the main menu are displayed,
> > so the short version (before the whole installer is loaded) looked
> > something like this:
> Could we please avoid making such drastic changes at this point? I
> feel we are already changing a bit too much between what we call
> `beta releases', given that we don't even know if we have to release
> soon... :-)

Who is to decide, when sarge gets released? I guess it'd be the
release manager, who would certainly ask debian-boot about the state
of the installer. And IMHO if there are any usability issues, which
are more or less easy to fix, then they should be implemented, as the
userbase (end-users, not the ones who know _why_ Debian is good) is
giving too much critisism about the installer. I've had a talk with
one sysadmin at work today, who was very surprised to hear that the
installer is at least usable (he assumed it was in a deep alpha stage)
and he had started one more "they-really-should-embrace-gtk"
discussion....

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org