Re: Sorting is implemented in cdebconf CVS (was Re: Countrychooser commited in CVS)

Quoting Denis Barbier (barbier@linuxfr.org):

> This has been tested on countrychooser with the help of the attached
> script;
>   $ sort_countries --lang=fr --locale=fr_FR.UTF-8 \
>           < debian/templates > debian/templates.sorted
> Now if templates is replaced by templates.sorted, countries are sorted.

How do you think this could be included in countrychooser? I'm
reluctant at doing this myself as either you or someone else will
probably do it better and cleanly.

> Remaining issues:
>   * iso-codes French translation contains commas, which confuses
>     cdebconf.  Other languages have surely the same problem.

Several languages have this problem. While writing the very first
countrychooser, I took care of this for english strings but forgot to
do so for translations.

>   * This script should be split into 2 parts:
>       a. print the sorted list (ie $output) into a file sorted.$lang
>       b. read sorted.$lang files and add Indices fields.
>     This way sorted.$lang files could be put under CVS wings and
>     translators might check that countries are sorted as expected.
>     Maintainer can run (b) without having locales installed.

Seems to be the only way....

However, in the meantime, the country sorting by region has been added
by Joey. No idea if this changes the proposed scheme. I don't really
like having sorted.* files in CVS as this loses one advantage we had
until then : the translations were completely outside the
package. With this, we somewhat put them again in the package....