Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

Quoting Anton Zinoviev (anton@lml.bas.bg):
> Here is another option:
>
> First question: select a country.
>
> Second question: select a language.  For most countries there is a
> good choice of default language and the priority of the question can
> be lowered.

Unfortunately, this has a problem-->the first question, about country
will be in english. Its implications are not trivial, thus I think it
should be translated...

And, unfortunately, several countries will raise problems with this
scheme. And not only obscure countries, but some current d-i
contributors countries, mostly Belgium and Switzerland (or Spain).

If one chooses Belgium, should French or Dutch be chosen as default
language? I can assure you that either one is chosen, then you'll get
the "other side" very angry. Ask Bart Cornelis about dutch/french
struggles in Belgium.

Swiss people are maybe more "policed" (a nice "idée reçue" for sure)
but I'm pretty sure people from Lausanne wouldn't like to get German
as default language and be forced to lower debconf priority for
getting French back.

> The language list can contain all languages (not just the langueges
> for which there is a locale in SUPPORTED.)  If someone chooses
> Bulgaria but Turkish language (there is no locale tr_BG) then the
> environment variables should be set as follows:
>
> LANG=bg_BG (the default for Bulgaria)
> LANGUAGES=tr

The idea Denis developed in this thread would give this for Bulgarian
or Turkish in Bulgaria:

1) Language question

  bg_BG Choose this.....bulgarian (Bulgaria)
  bg    Choose this.....bulgarian (Other countries)
  .../...
  tr_TR Choose this.....turkish (Turkey)
  tr    Choose this.....turkish (Other countries)

(in bulgarian or turkish of course)

If bg_BG is chosen, go ahead....
If tr_TR is chosen, go ahead...

If tr alone is chosen:

2) Country question - short list

(assume that tr_BG is a valid locale, for the example)

  BG Bulgaria
  TR Turkey
  ... (other countries with valid tr_XX locale)
     Others

If TR is chosen there....locale is tr_TR
If BG is chosen there....locale is tr_BG

If the user wants to pick another country because (s)he is a native
turkish speaker in, say, Greenland, then we bring a *third* question
with *all* countries.

3) Country question - long list

In step 2, the user is warned that choosing "Others" may have
undesired effect as the locale combination is currently not supported
in Debian.

Step 3 won't be reached very often (indeed it will be reached for
turkish speakers in Bulgaria)...and most often, one step only will be
needed.

About LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL and all this stuff, I leave the answer to
others as I must admit that some subtleties there are away from my
understanding...:-)