Re: discover Debian package maintainer

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:48:50PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Hi
>
> The purpose of this mail is to inform discover-workers of the plans the
> debian-installer team has for discover2 and to give you the possibility
> to object to out plans.

Okay.

> Current state of discover2 in Debian: I have packaged an udeb only
> version of discover2 which is in the archive now. This package has
> successfully built on all autobuilders except mips, mipsel and m68k.
> It is intended for testing discover2 with the new installer.

Glad to hear it.  Be sure and lean on those m* guys.  :)

> Further plans:
> I discussed the future of the discover2 package with pere yesterday. We
> plan to upload a full version of discover2 (including deb packages). It
> is not our intent to hijack your package. However, considering that
> there was no packaging effort done in the last months, we are under the
> impression, that you are no longer interested in maintaining this
> package. So we would like to completely takeover the maintenance of
> discover2.
> If our impression is wrong and you are still interested in maintaining
> discover2 then please speak up now and provide finished packages in the
> near future.

It is not true that we are no longer interested; however, it is the case
that at present Progeny has more urgent priorities occupying its
technical staff.  You might have noticed that LinuxWorld is this week.
:)

Also, I should let you know that I'm no longer the primary POC for
Discover; this responsibility has been transferred to Jeff Licquia
<licquia@progeny.com>.  Nevertheless I remain very interested in the
project, as I've been involved from the beginning.

> If we take over the maintenance of discover2 we plan to do the following
> (IRC excerpt):
> 17:25 <      pere> Currently, we have two packages: discover (building
>           discover and discover-udeb), and discover2 (building
>           discover2-udeb).  If we change this to discover1 (building
>           discover1 and discover-udeb), and discover (building discover
>           and discover2-udeb).
> 17:26 <      pere> then we can test discover (version 2) in Sid, while
>           still using discover-udeb (version 1) in d-i.
> 17:29 <      pere> Besides, the discover version 2 package is slightly
>           tested already, and seem to return correct info.
>
> With this plan we can get wider testing for discover2 in sid and still
> have discover1 packages as a fall back option and for sarge if it will
> be released before discover2 is ready.

Would it bother you guys terribly to do this as a pre-approved NMU?  We
can merge the changes back into our SVN repo.

Once LinuxWorld is off our plate, let's see if we can't keep pace with
your needs vis a vis Discover 2, and re-evaluate the maintainership
issue in 4 weeks or so.

Does that sound reasonable?  Your plan sounds good to me, and like what
was already discussed, so it doesn't sound very disruptive to previous
expectations.

--
Branden Robinson          | GPG signed/encrypted mail welcome
branden@progeny.com       | 1024D/9C0BCBFB