Re: partman (and ext3)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:00:43PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> What do you think about uploading it to unstable soon?

I'd like to do some last changes before the upload.  I am going to
upload the packages on 20 January.

> I was looking at partman-ext3, and read that it cannot use parted and so
> lacks a progress bar. I wonder, couldn't it instead use parted to make
> an ext2 filesystem, with progress bar, and then simply tune2fs -j it?
> This seems like a simple workaround..

I didn't implement it that way because tune2fs is not included in any
udeb (I think).

Currently even for ext2 partman doesn't use parted (the code to use
parted exists but is commented).  This is because after too many
repartitionings of my hard disk ;-) somethign happened and now parted
is not able any more to format even swap space.  One of the things I
want to change before the upload is to use parted and show progress
bars whenever possible and mkfs.* as fallback when parted fails to
format some partition.

Anton Zinoviev