Re: Exit install with no root password

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:06:21PM -0600, Adam F. Rogoyski wrote:

>    Hi.  In a i386 install with the daily 100 meg sarge cd
> (sarge-i386-netinst.iso      11-Jan-2004 15:18   107M)
> I was able to hit Cancel when it prompts for the root password and proceed
> to Finish Setup, dropping me at the login screen.  Now I couldn't log on
> because there was no root password set.  You might want to put some kind
> of warning there, or let the root user log on with a null password until
> one is yet.

Yes, this is bug #207816, a side effect of re-engineering the PAM config
files, which I've been allowing to languish in the BTS.

Based on this and other requests, I've come to the conclusion that
there's a real need for two separate "common" auth configs, because
interactive and non-interactive services don't have much common ground.

The changes I'm aware of so far that should be included in such a
common-auth-interactive file are:

- call pam_nologin.so
- call pam_env.so
- add 'nullok' to the pam_unix option list

These seem to be the common features of those services whose needs are
not satisfied by /etc/pam.d/common-auth today.  Sam, would you agree?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer