Re: problems with modules after kernel compilation

Hi Paul  (or Christian ?),

Christian Christmann writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm trying to install the new kernel 2.6.1. To do this, I already tried

I'm running the debian stock kernel 2.6.1 on my desktop system without problems:

% uname -a
Linux artemis 2.6.0-1-k7 #2 Sun Jan 11 17:06:46 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

I noticed on playing with this: Even *IF* you used the modular stock kernel
before, you will need to add modules

Boot the system, change to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, login as root,
run modconf. This will give you a menu with hw types and names to choose
from. Modconf will also add the successful entries to /etc/modules.

If that doesn't work, browse /lib/modules/2.6.1/... to guess the names of
modules. Then  add missing modules on the commandline
  modprobe -v ne2k-pci
for example. If you successfully load a module, enter its name into
/etc/modules.

This is what I have to use
--- snip ---------------------------------------------------
# onboard (Asus K7V mother board with Athlon 500 MHz)
apm
rtc
mousedev
psmouse
floppy
loop
lp
# SCSI cdrom, tape (dawi control card with sym53c875 controller)
sym53c8xx
st
sr_mod
sg
# graphics card (Matrox millenium G400)
amd-k7-agp
mga
# sound card (Ensoniq)
es1371
# ethernet (NE2000 pci and Realtek 8139)
ne2k-pci
8139too
pppoe

Also note, that running 2.6 requires a number of packages to be updated, I
got the most information from kerneltrap.org:

"Feature: HowTo Upgrade To The 2.6 Kernel"

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

Good luck!
Erich