Hello

I've just installed sarge a few days ago with Debian installer.
It's working fine, but I got only a 2.4.23 kernel. An earlier
attempt, with the websites had been tampered with,
I got a choice of kernels, including 2.6-test9 (or something like that)
It got that one to work, but but the mouse had to be moved to
a serial port from the ps2 port. The ethernet did not work after rebooting,
but, it worked to install remotely. That why I reinstalled.

The X11 is the BEST I have ever had (voodoo4) and a 19 monitor at
1600x1200 is the tits!

So is there a 'howto' on building 2.6 kernels? I do not want to try and reinstall this p350 again, until things mature. Besides it's now working quite well with KDE.....

My experience is the device driver choices are for NEW HARDWARE. I have
an ond thinkpad portable (pII-266) that I'd like to try debian installer on next, but, I have to install with floppies(I do not have bad floppy problems like the
installation pages suggest are common.....

Should I try the IBM 770ED portable with floppies? Or will most of the necessary
drivers be missing? Is there any hope for drivers for these old machines?

Alternatively, should be able to get the CDRW-DCD working on the new SARGE
P350, but, I have never had any luck with burning CDs off of Debian, or linux in
general.  Where is the 'Howto' so someone like myself can test, debug, and
fix the CDRW so I can burn images via SARGE?

I also have embedded board with a Elan520 x86 chips running at 133MHz.
It runs 'TSlinux 3.0' which is a 2.4.x derivative. The actual web site is
http://www.embeddedx86.com/
It only has compact flash and ethernet for possible access to install a new kernel.
The OS is installed on Compact Flash, and I have several other cards, if
Debian Installers wants to give me ideas on how to use Debian installer
on this board.
The documentation on this TS-5500 suggest either Zmodem(surely they
are kidding) and burning a new CF module(Sandisk) from a PC and swapping
the CF modules to test a new/upgraded OS. They are not real keen on
upgrading to 2.6.x, but, I'm willing to experiment, if somebody will give
me ideas on Debian installer with a minimum image burned onto a
256M CF card?

James