Re: Proposal: Ask if user wants to set up network

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:20:12PM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

I propose (if this isn't being worked on already) that d-i ask the user if he/she wants to set up his/her network connections during installation instead of assuming so. As can be seen in bug #226495 <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=226495>, problems ensue when this connection can't be established because of driver issues and such.

Ok, and if you're installing from a *net*inst CD (which is what the
current dailies are), what do you expect the system to do when it needs
to install more packages?

If you really only want the base system to be installed and nothing
else, you should be able to boot the CD in 'expert' mode, and avoid the
redundant prompting.   "base only with no access to full package
archives" sounds like an expert configuration to me, do you disagree?

What I've always done in the past is get a base system installed, install the .deb from LinuxAnt, copy the necessary files from /mnt/windows, set up WEP, ifup eth0, then do my tasksel/dselect/apt-get from there.

Is this possible from within d-i's mini-shell?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@msstate.edu]