uname -a: Linux 2.4.22-1-386 #9 Sat Oct 4 14:30.39 i686 unknown
Date: Jan 8, 2004, 11:00am
Method: Network install via pxelinux: pxelinux.cfg/default:

LABEL sarge
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND load initrd=netboot-initrd.gz devfs=mount ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0

Machine: Hp DL360 G3
Processor: 1 Intel Xeon
Memory: 1024 mb
Root Device: Smart Array 5i/532
Root Size/partition table:
disk1 ext2  34 gigs
disk5 linux swap 1 gig
Output of lspci:
lspci not found

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [ ]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [E]
Mount partitions:       [E]
Install base system:    [E]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Reboot:                 [ ]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Note - This machine has two physical hard drives configured into a raid 0+1 array (in hardware), which the installer sees as one drive of half the size (as it should). Not sure if this has anything to do with partitioning problems or not.

Comments/Problems:

1. The installer first went to cfdisk. I created the partitions (1 ext3 (bootable), 1 swap), wrote the table, and selected finish. Then it went to the next screen where I am supposed to configure/mount the partitions, and instead of the list of my partitions (should have been 2), the list has 6 or 8 entries, most consisting of just one letter, like this:
913 MiB

Anytime I select one of these list entries and hit <enter> it boots me out to the menu screen. At the menu screen, I am able to select auto-partition, which works fine and creates almost the same setup that I would have created anyway, so this is not a fatal problem.

2. On attempting to install the base system, it says that it is retrieving package files, then finding package sizes, then retrieving packages, validating, extracting packages. Then the screen goes blue for a bit with no menu, and comes back red saying: debootstrap exited with an error, return value 1, check the log. I hit <continue> and the next screen says base system failed to install into /target/, check the two debootstrap logs. I check the two logs: debootstrap.err.log is 0 bytes, and debootstrap.log has one line:
ln: mawk : no such file or directory
Hitting continue kicks me back out to the menu. I can attempt to install the kernel but it just tries to do the base system again and fails.

When i look in /target/ there is some stuff in there, so it doesn't seem like a disk / driver problem.

Erik