Re: Install report, take 2: alpha businesscard 2004-01-02

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:45:02PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> So, I figured I'd give this image another go after pulling the SCSI
> controller out of the machine.  The SCSI card happens to be an
> integrated SCSI/ethernet device, so there was definitely no network
> configuration happening on this one -- and the netinst image quite
> persistently let me know that this wasn't going to work, but I continued
> on anyway to see how far I could get. :)

> With the qlogic card out, detecting the remaining IDE hard drives worked
> just fine.  When it came time to partition, though, the installer failed
> miserably.  Although the partitioner udeb has a script to tell it which
> partitioning program to use, and knew that it was supposed to use fdisk
> for SRM-based systems, fdisk-udeb wasn't installed.  Installing the udeb
> by hand let the partitioning run normally, showing that everything else
> was being detected correctly.

> By this point, the ailing IDE drive I'd thrown in for the test was
> giving me frequent read errors, so I never got through creating a new
> filesystem; though mounting the existing fs did work when I tested it,
> and formatting only failed because the hardware balked.

> I've also tested the kernel-image-2.4.23-1-generic package on this
> system, and it shows the same problem initializing the SCSI driver as
> the 2.4.22 kernel on the CD did.  I'll continue trying to get to the
> bottom of that little failure.

Oh, I think I've also figured out why /var/log/syslog wasn't created:
syslogd failed to start because there was no driver for unix socket
support in any of the kernel udebs.  The socket-modules udeb is
conspicuously absent from pkg-lists/*/alpha, even though it does exist.
I'll update this in my local working directory so it can be fixed on the
dailies, and commit it as soon as alioth is back.

Is there any reason this shouldn't be considered a "common" package?  It
seems to be in the list for all i386 and powerpc targets.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer