Re: d-i via floppy/usb/netinst.iso

Gerhard Kroder wrote:
> I'm having trouble running d-i with netinst.img via usb stick.
> tried to boot hd-media-image with  full sarge-i386-netinst.iso. things
> run untill loading d-i, then i only get dots, filling up some pages in
> more than an hour. this is faar too long to start d-i, isn't it? need
> some help here.

I generally see about 2 seconds to load, and I have usb 1.1.

> some more details:
>
> booting bootfloppy: kernel, initrd..... ok
>
> "plug in USB storage device"... is already inserted at bootime. now
> kernel messages show up about recognized USB device as sda, but:
> "Partition check:
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/:<3>ldm_parse_privhead(): Cannot find
> PRIVHEAD structure. LDM database is corrupt. Aborting.
> ldm_validate_privheads(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD 1.
> unable to read partition table"

This is "normal". I see it here too and it does not break anything.

> This might be(?), cause i wrote hd-media-image to the whole device, not
> a partition (dd of=/dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1). When mounting this
> manually, i also need to mount /dev/sda instead of sda1.

That's correct.

> Now pressing "Enter" as requested reads data from usb (controll light
> flickers), saying:
> "System: debian-installer"
> Label: bootable drive
> Date: 20031226
>
> That's all, this dots keep on filling up the screen, aprox. one per
> second. I had this run for more than an hour, and i don't belive this is
> correct. Even if it would unpack the iso in it and install whole base
> system....
>
> Tried that with same results on 2 old systems (workstation with
> p450/192mb and laptop with cel400/192mb). A third system (xp2600) faild
> accessing usb (filed a bug report on that).
>
> So, what is wrong here? how to go on?

The weird thing about this is it should only print one dot each second
that some data was retreived from the usb device. If the usb device were
stalling, there should be no dots; so it must be getting _some_ data
from the device. But it only needs to load about 5 mb. You could let it
run overnight, even at only 1k a second, it should only need 1.5 hours
to load the whole thing..

You might want to either install linux by some other means on one of the
machines, or try the usb device on some other machine running linux, and
see if there are general problems reading a lot of data off of it at
once. Just catting the initrd from the disk to /dev/null would be a good
test.

--
see shy jo