Re: Should we really use countries in languagechooser

[Alastair McKinstry]
> The country information is used in two places:
> (1) In selecting dialect; eg. US American vs British; Swiss German
>     vs German (in principle; not done yet, I believe)
> (2) To select _default_ values for other things:
> 	- keyboard
>  	- ftp mirror
> 	- timezone
> 	others?

Yes, there are a few others.  ispell dictionary, KDE locale, libc
locale and a few others.  This is done in the second stage installer
in Skolelinux.

We need to pass a valid locale to base-config, and this locale will be
used for more then language.  Because of this, I believe we need to
select both language and region at install time.

In addition, I believe it is better with one question then two,
because it is faster to answer one question then it is to answer two
questions.  So using one question only for this speeds up the
installation.  It also reduces the cognitive strain on the installer,
as he only need to read and understand one question instead of two.
This also reduces confusion for new persons installing debian, as each
extra question will increase the confusion for new users.