Re: No ethernet

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:21:54PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I bootstrapped a Debian system from a RH one.  The initial bootstrap
> was with woody, then I changed apt to use testing and got a 2.4.18
> kernel (k7 variety).
>
> The first time I booted into the new system I didn't seem to have any
> ethernet card (I was working before in a RH chroot environment).
> ifconfig didn't mention it, and ifup didn't help.
>
> I'm not entirely sure where I should start looking for the cause of
> this problem.  My first suspicion was that the card (on onboard 3 Com
> 950, I think) was too new to be supported; at any rate I saw no
> obvious drivers to load in the relevant lib dir (it's not, e.g., a
> 3c905).

Correction: the card is a 3c905c.  The problem was that all the
drivers have names like 3c5xxx.  However, looking at the 2.4.20 source
on a different machine, I see that the 3c59x module actually supports
this model.

So I guess trying to insmod this is the first step, assuming the stock
2.4.18 kernel has it.