Re: Installing Debian

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 01:38:09PM -0400, Anand Atreya wrote:
> Hi,
>         I'm trying to install Debian 3.0r1 on a 900 MHz AMD Athlon with Asus A7V motherboard.  However, I'm having two problems.
> First, when I'm in the middle of the install process, and the installer is adding packages to the system, I get the following error regardless of how many times i try or if I try to run apt-get manually:
>
> dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 16078
> package '(package name here)':
> 'Depends' field, reference to 'libc6': version contains ' '
>
> This error occurs with many different packages.  (One of the packages that caused this problem was a Python package.)  Rebooting does not help.  Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Sounds like you may have disk corruption, or at least a corrupted
available file. Why not take a look at the available file with emacs,
at the line numbers mentioned, to see if something other than
libc6 (>= x.x.x-x) is there. I grepped mine and found no cases
where version was ' '.

If you move your available file and then apt-get update,
you'll get a fresh one. Then maybe you could diff (although
it may be a newer version as well).

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People