elilo & initrd

I have Debian 3.0 installed on IA64 system. I am experimenting with initrd and trying to configure
elilo to use initrd for booting. So far, I am not not successfull.

elilo prints a message

"initrd.c (56) Open file initrd file not found"

I have tried various combinations. Still cannot get elilo to find initrd.img

What is the syntax and other considerations to configure initrd loading.

I have used initrd with lilo many times and also on this system, I used mkinitrd to create
initrd.img

Usman