Re: Hardware requirments: Do we need Math Emulation in the i386 kernel ?

[Herbert Xu]
>> Why must it support math emulation?
>
> So that it works on 386 machines with no coprocessor.  This is the
> *generic* kernel-image that we're talking about here.

Yes, I know what math emulation is.

Why must the generic kernel-image for i386 support 386 machines with
no coprocessor?  Is it to be able to say that debian still got kernels
for >10 year old machines, or is there anyone actually using the
generic kernel supplied from debian on >10 year old machines?  Or is
there some other reason?