Re: Net image far too big

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:49:42PM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> Maybe we could still do both.
> The first floppy acts as it does now (when slimmed).
> If this doesn't work, eg USB case, then the second acts as an initrd
> disk.
>
> Hmm. Is there a syslinux hacker available? Imagine the following:
> Boot from first floppy. With priority == high, etc. it does what
> autodetect it can. Realises it can't find net, USB, (or maybe it can,
> but realises it hasn't got the right modules). Time to go to the
> two-disk solution.
> So it restarts the kernel (hide kernel output behind some nice fb
> graphics), this time _with_a_different_set_of_cmdline args.

No problem with that, as long as we can still build one large image
for non-i386 architectures. On several non-i386 systems there is
no bootloader like syslinux, lilo or grub, but the machine firmware
itself boots the kernel image via network, so the ramdisk has to be
statically linked into the kernel image. This means we cannot just
modify some bootloader arguments on the fly.

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>