Re: Redusing the list of selectable languages

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 09:16, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Aigars Mahinovs]
> > You should be able to see these with a proper UTF8 font.
>
> My emacs in X handles these just fine.  The problem is in the linux
> console, where we want to load the missing glyphs into the console, to
> get it to display all the characters.  I do not know much about font
> behaves differently in UTF-8 mode.
>
> See <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=188147> for more
> info.  Are there UTF-8 fonts available for the linux console?  Will
> they handle all languages?

Its not a matter of UTF-8 fonts; the console can only handle max 512
glyphs,  or 256 if we want bold.

For Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic we can use LatArCyrHeb font, but
not for Asian languages. For these, we need a framebuffer device.
In boot-floppies, the bogl framebuffer library was used, and a font was
created that included _just_ the characters needed for boot-floppies.

We may need to do something similar for d-i. However if we have space
problems on the netinst floppy, we might not be able to fit it anyway,
and we would have better graphics with gtk-directfb. As it is, we don't
have space for languagechooser on net floppy; on CD we can load gtk +
pango and get full support anyway.

To make a decision, we need to know:
(1) Whats the state of bogl cdebconf? Is it workable? How big is it?
(2) How big is a slang / newt solution without Asian lang. support?
(3) What are the memory requirements for gtk-directfb? Are they
acceptable?

- Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine