Re: OT: initrd / change root fs

The linux kernel uses all otherwise-unused ram as a buffer cache.
You could just use hdparm to set the disk spindown.  I found on a router
I had it would spin down most of the time unless I logged in to do
something.  You might have to track down things that write to syslog and
keep the disk from spinning down.  the linux laptop project has a lot of
tricks for this kind of thing.

Regrads,

Jeremy